5 Career Opportunities for MPH Grads in Biotechnology
For graduates holding a Masters in Public Health degree, there are many different specialty fields to enter. Among the many on the list is the field of Biotechnology. Biotechnology is a part of the biology field that uses living organisms and other bioprocesses in fields such as the medical field. The field is mainly one of research, but there are also jobs in areas such as data collection and supervisory positions. There are many different careerswithin the Biotechnology category, but here are the Top 5:
- Biostatistician - Biostatisticians are, to put it simply, statisticians who work in the healthcare field. They handle research, set statistical parameters for studies and analyze data for issues in public health. To prepare for a career as a Biostatistician, it is best to get an undergraduate degree in a field like statistics or mathematics before pursuing their MPH degree. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the job growth for Biostatisticians will grow by as much as 13% by the year 2018. Current salary levels for Biostatisticians are in the $61,996-$80,330 range.
- Clinical Trials Monitoring Specialist - The Clinical Trials Monitoring Specialist monitors all clinical trials at an organization. They make sure the trials are safe by making sure all rules and regulations are being followed. They also ensure that the results are accurate and not skewed in any way based on incorrect data. Generally, Clinical Trials Monitoring Specialists monitor a clinical trial before it starts, during the trial and then after the trial. It is an ongoing process that requires due diligence. In addition to your Masters in Public Health degree, you will need some experience in clinical trials to become a monitoring specialist. Depending on the organization you work for, salary levels can range between $40,000 and $81,000 a year. Jobs with the Federal government pay more, while jobs with universities tend to pay less.
- Principal Research Associate - The Principal Research Associate, also known as a Senior Research Associate, is the head of the research department of an organization. They delegate assignments, oversee the research of the other researchers and, overall, manage the research department. Principal Research Associates work at various organizations within the public and private sector. Previous research experience is a requirement for this job since it is a supervisory position. The salary level for the Principal Research Associate varies depending on the organization, but on average is between $68,000 and $100,000.
- Clinical Research Manager - The Clinical Research Manager oversees the research on a clinical trial. They ensure that the proper research has been done to begin a trial. They also design the protocol to be followed by the Clinical Trials Monitoring Specialist during a clinical trial. In addition to the MPH degree, those seeking to be a Clinical Research Manager need to have several years of experience (usually at least 5 years) in clinical trials. The salary for the Clinical Research Manager ranges from $62,000 to $128,000. Of course, Federal government jobs will pay more than most other employers.
- Clinical Data Manager - Clinical Data Managers oversee the data in a healthcare research program. This includes, but is not limited to: design, collection, processing, storage and retrieval. Of course, you will need to have a degree in a Computer Science-related field for your undergraduate and experience working with data collection and analysis to go along with your MPH degree. The salary for Clinical Data Managers averages to be around $96,000, but can vary between $80,000 and $115,000 based upon the organization you work for. Many Clinical Data Managers work for the private sector, but if you can get a Federal government job, it will likely pay on the higher end of the pay scale.
Again these are just five of the many jobs in Biotechnology that graduates from a MPH programcan look forward to getting. The important thing to remember when searching for a job in the Biotechnology field is that you choose one that you will enjoy. Do not base your career on pay alone. Of course, salary is a big part of deciding your career choice, but it should not be the deciding factor. Do your research and you will find the Biotechnology job that is right for you.