Masters in Computer Science Salaries
Master of Computer Science Salaries
Individuals that persevere through the completion of a Master of Computer Science program usually do well once they enter the job market - although the right career opportunity may not always present itself immediately. It was not long ago that a bachelor's in computer science, computer engineering or if it could be found, a bachelor's in software engineering would be sufficient for excellent job placement coming out of school. In many instances it still is. But computer science and software development have moved well beyond application development and PC design. Many of the companies hiring for these professions today are tech-heavy industries or research firms that are beginning to advertise for applicants with graduate level degrees. Right now, the end of the first decade in the twenty first century, is a good time to invest in a master's degree in computer science. It still has a lot of throw-weight in the industries that are hiring. Our data is taken from Payscale.com.
1. Software Engineer: People working in this field who hold a master's degree have a salary range of $62,294 - $86,428. That puts the median pay at about $75,000. A lead software engineer/developer has a salary range of $93,598 - $127,375, with a median salary of almost $110,000.
2. Computer Systems Engineer: There is data available on this position for the entry level opportunity and for the senior level systems engineer. A recent hire working as a computer systems engineer will be in a salary range of $50,131 - $76,662 with a median salary of $58,500. A senior systems engineer has a salary range of $71,445 - $101,272. The median salary for this position is $76,500.
3. Information Assurance: This profession has become a mandatory staff role in most businesses, and people who have trained in the field are paid well. An information assurance engineer has a salary range of $67,319 - $102,030. The median salary for the position is $84,500. Professionals who specialize in cybersecurity and work as consultants are also well paid and in demand.
4. Systems Analyst: There are several career paths for this job; these are median salary figures for several of them. A business analyst in information technology earns an average of $62,706. A senior business analyst for computer hardware and software systems earns an average salary of $80,493. A senior business systems analyst earns $78,447. A senior programmer analyst, a position akin to a software engineer, earns $78,334.
5. Computer & Information Scientist: This is one of the positions that companies who design research programs are filling constantly with individuals who hold a master's degree or a PhD in the relevant field. The salary range for this position is $74,799 - $118,636. A master's degree is often sufficient qualification, but advanced math and computer theory are important skill areas. The median salary is $95,800.