Masters in Accounting Salaries
Master in Accounting Salaries
There is a world of career paths for graduates from a Master of Accounting program, from CPA work in a small firm, to management accounting in a corporate environment, to employment at the federal, state, or local level in a public agency. Many accountants who are interested in work with law enforcement agencies or in the legal field have gravitated to forensic accounting, which is a long way from the tax preparation and finance management that most public accountants engage in. Some Master of Accounting & Finance graduates have a degree that provides opportunities in management level positions such as risk management or a financial analysis position that leads to participation in developing corporate business strategy. At the graduate level an accounting degree can take a person well into the management ranks in business and in the administrative ranks of the public service sector.
1. Risk Manager: This position is usually associated with a finance degree, but many Master of Accounting programs include substantial levels of finance study in the curriculum. Risk and insurance managers oversee programs to minimize risks and losses that might arise from financial transactions and business operations. According to Payscale.com the salary range for a Senior Risk Manager is $83,252 - $130,196. The salary range for a lesser position, that of risk management analyst, is $45,729 - $68,938.
2. Internal Auditor: This is another position with a large gap between the entry level position and one with senior status - which might go to a person with a graduate degree and a few years' experience. For the entry level internal auditor the salary range is $42,375 - $58,876. For a senior internal auditor, someone who manages the process, the salary range is $59,853 - $78,618.
3. Management Accountant: This sounds like a senior position but is really a job description that grows in compensation based on years of experience. Management accountants at the entry level have a salary range of $43,340 - $64,747. Those with some seniority or who have attained chartered status have a salary range of $59,540 - $80,674.
4. Compliance Manager: This job comes with several specializations, including regulatory compliance, tax compliance, and Sarbanes - Oxley compliance. The salary range for an accountant working in regulatory compliance is $55,694 - $91,898. For a professional with tax compliance duties the salary range is $71,512 0 $100,277. And for compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley statute the salary range is $82,367 - $11,416.
5. Forensic Accountant: This position can be in a federal law enforcement bureau, in a local police agency, or working within a large law firm, or in a corporate environment. The salaries for these jobs have an extensive range. At the entry level the average salary for this work is $48,609. A CPA engaged in forensic accounting earns an average of $60,678. Those who enter service with the FBI or the ATF with a graduate degree will move into salary brackets well above these figures, as will forensic accountants who consult for law firms.