Masters in Counseling Career Salaries
Master of Counseling Career Salaries
Professional counselors work in schools, social service agencies, mental health programs, drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers and in private practice. Salaries range across the board, from the modest pay scales for many social work positions to the lucrative careers that private marriage and family therapy practitioners have built. Private practice is not always the road to a healthy income but under the right circumstances there is more room for growth in private practice than there is working in a salaried position. Counselors holding a master's degree, however, are more likely to be eligible for management positions, for administrative roles, and for the senior jobs that get involved in policy development in the public sector. Our list of counseling career salaries is only a brief look at salary ranges as provide by either the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics or Payscale.com, both of which provide national averages that can vary significantly based on job location and seniority.
1. School Counselor: According to the U.S. Department of Labor the annual mean wage for this position is $55,030. The mean wage for the State of Louisiana is $50,430. In New York the mean annual salary for this position is $61,020. In Missouri it is $46,750. This salary is going to vary also based on the degree: a MEd is likely to have higher earnings than a Master of Counseling graduate who has specialized in school counseling.
2. Marriage and Family Therapist: The figures from the Department of Labor show the annual mean wage for MFT practitioners to be $46,920. The mean annual salary in the State of New Jersey is $60,920. In the State of Georgia the mean annual wage is $63,510. And in Maryland the mean wage is $45,870.
3. Mental Health Counselor: This job description can mean any one of a number of positions and in the Department of Labor data it is impossible to differentiate between counselors working in minor positions with an undergraduate degree. The mean salary for this position on a national basis is $41,710. In the State of California the mean annual salary is $51,910. In Oregon it is $49,490 and in Massachusetts the mean annual salary is $42,890.
4. Substance Abuse Counselors: This is another position for which there are gradations of education and licensing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the mean annual wage for this position is $40,420. In the State of Hawaii the mean annual salary is $56,320. In New Jersey the annual salary averages $54,970 and in Wisconsin the mean wage is $45,840.
5. Rehabilitation Counselor: This data is drawn from Payscale.com, which cites the national salary range for this position as being $33,774 - $56,855. There is no regional information, but the pay scale for those who are employed in the healthcare industry is $35,975 - $53,707. In the social services are which includes vocational rehabilitation and educational career counseling the pay range is $34,357 - $51,523.