Masters in Nursing (MSN) Salary
Master of Science in Nursing Salaries
The MSN workforce has traditionally been defined by four to six areas of specialization, all of which have developed their own subspecialties. In advanced practice clinical nursing some of these specializations are quite sophisticated, leading to jobs - and salaries - that are at a very high level. Clinical nurse specialists that have trained in cardiovascular care or neurological care are paid more than their colleagues in the more common practices, but there are far fewer jobs available in those specialties. Some nurse practitioners may choose to specialize in gerontology or neonatal care, which may or may not lead to a higher salary depending on the facility that is hiring. What we have done here is take the five basic areas of specialization for advanced practice nursing, four of which are clinical in nature. The salary figures are taken from the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, or from Payscale.com. Find Masters in Nursing Online today.
- Nurse Practitioner salaries on a national basis have a total pay package range of $70,361 - $90,819 according to Payscale.com. The median salary is about $81,000. In the hospital environment, the salary range - not total pay - is $68,386 - $88,047. Working in family medicine, as a sole practitioner or in a doctor's office the salary range is $68,634 - $87,342.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist has a national salary range of $65,514 - $85,250. For clinical nurse specialists working in acute care the salary range is $69,742 - $89,096. Those working in psychiatric services have a salary range of $66,951 - $87,651, while for those working in a hospital environment it is $68,292 - $88,063.
- Nurse Midwife has a national salary range of $59,392 - $84,776. For nurse midwives working in an obstetrics/gynecology practice the range is $63,487 - $95,704. Those employed in family medicine instead of a medical specialty office have a salary range of $59,699 - $90,590.
- Nurse Anesthetist is the most lucrative of all the advanced practice nursing specialties open to a MSN student; it also requires the most training and the longest practicum. The national salary range for this position is $100,599 - $146,529. That works out to a median salary of about $123,000. Nurse anesthetists working in an acute care hospital have a range of $103,626 - $149,723, slightly higher than those working in an all purpose medical center. Those who are hired on for general surgery duties in one of a variety of facilities have a salary range of $98,882 - $147,721.
- Nursing Educator is the one non-clinical MSN specialization we have listed here. The national pay range for this position is $51,863 - $75,920. Nurse educators working in an acute care hospital have a salary range of $59,926 - $80,607. Those that have gravitated to the field of education in general and are working in classrooms have a salary range of $55,765 - $76,501.
Find more related information: