Masters in Public Administration Scholarships and Fellowships
Master of Public Administration Scholarships and Fellowships
Scholarships for degrees related to work in the public service sector can vary based on the area of concentration. There are scholarship programs for students working towards social work degrees, toward public administration degrees, enrolled in public health programs, and pursuing degrees in public finance. There are a few programs for students interested in a career in public works. The MPA degree is supported by a number of scholarship or fellowship programs organized by state or regional public employee organizations, which can be difficult to locate without an active search. It's a question for a local city manager or county administrator who is familiar with local public employee and public executive organizations.
- Government Finance Officers Association has three endowed scholarship programs for graduate student studying public administration, government finance, business administration, or social sciences. One $5,000 award is for an individual who is already working in local or state government and are enrolled in a graduate program for public administration or finance. Another is for a minority student engaged in graduate studies preparatory to government service.
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation has a coveted scholarship opportunity for students who are working towards a graduate degree in public service. The winners receive a $30,000 award which is for tuition and support during the graduate studies. Applicants must be undergraduates in their junior year. There is a service obligation associated with this award: winners are expected to work in public service for three of the seven years following completion of a Foundation funded graduate program.
- Public Policy & International Affairs Fellowship Program was created by a consortium of the public affairs graduate programs in the nation to increase diversity among the professionals coming into public policy and public affairs careers. The fellowship is a series of programs progressing from the junior year of undergraduate study through the graduate program and into a career in public service. Students must be enrolled in one of the participating schools in order to be eligible.
- Illinois City/County Management Association has a fellowship program for graduate students in public administration. Applicants must be enrolled, or about to enroll in a graduate MPA program or similar program in the State of Illinois. This organization also sponsors and international scholarship program for members that awards grants for travel to and study of a city or county management organization in a foreign nation.
- New York City Mayor's Graduate Scholarship Program is a program for New York City employees who wish to pursue a graduate degree in public administration or a related field such as public finance or public policy. The program has thirty five participating colleges enrolled in the program which is administered by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services. Employees make application for a scholarship through the management of their employing agency.