Masters in Public Health Salaries
The Master of Public Health degree grows in versatility every year. It has developed a similar level of popularity among health professionals as the MPA has among public sector professionals who wish to move into management ranks. Public health is also a fast growing industry, as private healthcare moves beyond the reach of more U.S. citizens every year. The salaries in public health are generally tethered to government salary scales which can vary significantly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Federal positions usually have the highest pay ranges, especially for professions dedicated to research and policy as public health jobs often are. On the other hand, senior managers in public health who are working at the municipal or county level are well compensated, especially in the larger jurisdictions. There are also employment opportunities in the consulting field today, with several of the top executive consulting firms moving into the public sector offering consulting services on operations improvement that are similar to the expertise marketed to private industry.
- Research Manager: This position is usually found in larger public health or healthcare agencies, often buried in a research or data development division that provides reports to policy professionals. According to Payscale.com the salary range for public health research program managers is $61,415 - $107,738. The median salary is $83,100.
- Epidemiologist: A MPH graduate who goes into this field generally is engaged in research but perhaps not the decision making based on the research. The salary data available for this job title reflects that fact; the information provided by Payscale.com is for a staff position. The salary range for this job is $48,269 - $76,030 for work in the public health sector. The median salary is $62,450.
- Public Health Analyst: This position has developed rapidly with the onset of consulting firms and agencies associated with Homeland Security. The prospect of domestic terrorism has created job opportunities for consultants and public sector planners who look at various public emergency scenarios. A public health analyst may also work within an existing public health agency auditing existing programs. Payscale.com sets the salary range for this position at $46,084 - $74,882. The median salary is $60,674.
- Emergency Response Coordinator: Working in public health is just one of several possibilities for this job title. However every state and regional health services agency has a public health professional assigned to this task and it has emerged as a standard job description within the public health sector. According to Payscale.com the salary range for this position is $45,974 - $74,190. The median salary is $61,250.
- Public Health Administrator: This is a job title for a management level position that does not reach into directorship ranks. Public health administrators oversee clinical operations or some other form of public health service organization or an outreach and education program. According to Salary.com the pay range for this position is $44,059 - $75,857. The median salary is $60,109.