Masters in Teaching Salary
Master of Arts in Teaching Salary
Teaching salaries vary greatly among states and within states, among the various school districts. The one constant for almost all teaching positions is that teachers who hold a master's degree get paid more than their counterparts who completed their teaching education with a bachelor's degree. The elevated degree and seniority are the two determining factors in salary variation within any given educational jurisdiction. It is also true in some cases that science and mathematics teachers get paid more than social science or English teachers simply because there are fewer of them and it takes a higher salary to bring them on board. All we can work with in this instance is average salaries as provided by the federal government and in some cases by the American Federation of Teachers. All salaries are annual but based on a nine month school year.
- High School Teachers: According to the U.S. Department of Labor the mean annual wage is $55,150. The differential among states is substantial: in Arizona the mean wage is $43,670, in Maryland it is $62,500, in Illinois it is $67,970, and in New York it is $68,010.
- Elementary School Teachers: The mean annual wage for elementary school teachers, according to the Department of Labor, is $53,150. Among selected states the figures for mean annual salary are as follows: in Texas it is $49,970. in Louisiana it is $44,620, in Connecticut it is $66,620, and in Rhode Island it is $68,410.
- Middle School Teachers: The mean salary for this teaching category is $53,550, once again according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the Department of Labor. The mean salary for middle school teachers in the state of Kansas is $42,410, in Mississippi it is $40,610, in Alaska the mean salary is $66,060, and in Texas it is $50,350.
- Special Education Teachers: The mean national salary for special education teachers in secondary school is $56,420. At the middle school level the mean salary is $54,750. For kindergarten and elementary school teachers the mean salary is $53,770.
- Early Childhood Education Teachers: Kindergarten teachers holding this credential have a mean salary of $50,380 nationally. In Arkansas the mean annual salary is $42,760, in California it is $56,660, in New Jersey it is $59,210, and in Georgia it is $47,150.