Best MCS (Masters in Computer Science) Degree Programs Online & Graduate Rankings
Computer science is a field that is in high demand at the moment, as students try their hands at helping make computers and other machinery more efficient. This type of advanced knowledge requires strong scientific programs, which are provided by the following schools. These have been ranked highly by the US News and World Report in recent years.
- Carnegie Mellon University currently offers a masters degree in Computer Science that draws from several different specialty options. Students can choose from one of five different pathways. These include machine learning, language technologies, robotics, or a fifth year master's program in either general computer sciences or robotics. The Fifth Year Program is a more intensive professional course.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology has one of the top computer science programs in the nation, with the high standards that MIT is known for in all of their technological programs. That includes a tightly focused field of study, allowing students to choose from a variety of different subjects such as robotics, software engineering, and mathematical systems.
- Stanford University contains a Computer Science department as part of their larger School of Engineering. This includes a Master of Science in Computer Science, and students may go on to earn a Doctor of Philosophy. There are a number of interdisciplinary options as well, including computer systems engineering, computational sciences, and symbolic systems.
- University of California, Berkeley features a campus that is located right in the computer science hotbed of Silicon Valley, which allows students to go out and experience worthwhile internships as part of their overall Masters learning experience. A strong and rigorous background in systems management and mathematics is required for the Computer Sciences degree, which draws on past skills and helps students tightly focus their technical abilities.
- Cornell University has a highly regarded computer science program that is part of their larger Faculty of Computing and Information Science. This department has been around since 1965, making it one of the oldest departments in the world, and as such students have access to a wide range of resources and network of alumni. Some students will come into this field from an engineering field, while others will be from a more scientific side.
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign bases admissions decisions on a number of different factors, including a student's academic record, GRE scores, and letters of reference. This then leads to the possibility to sign up for one of the best Masters in Computer Science programs in the USA, with a variety of different fields of focus for students who come from different engineering or software development backgrounds.
- University of Washington is home to a computer science and engineering department that has over fifty faculty members and three hundred graduate majors. There are a number of different specialty programs within the Masters of Computer Science program, including the possibility of working on a thesis project or in small groups on hands-on problem solving and coding issues. The program operates out of the Paul G. Allen Center of Computer Science and Engineering, which gives students access to the latest software and biotech facilities.
- Princeton University has a number of different computer science programs that help make up its larger overall Master of Computer Science degree, including programming languages, advanced coding techniques, computer graphics, and algorithms. These form a core curriculum that is able to advance students' knowledge of very specific technologies. Because this is such a swiftly evolving field of study, it's necessary to keep consistently updated.
- University of Texas Austin gives students the option of enrolling in a basic program or more specific diversity courses, which include specialties such as robotics. This is meant to help cater to any specific student interests within the framework of the computer science department. They have recently given the whole program an overhaul, to be mindful of recent updates in computer science and technology.
- Georgia Institute of Technology looks at computing in not only an intellectual way but also on an architectural basis as part of the overall Computer Science program. That includes analyzing a variety of broad sciences that are part of the field including algorithms, software design, and systems. These theoretical advancements are combined with real-life hands-on applications that test what students have learned and allow them to continue their studies in the real world.