Best MEng (Master of Engineering) Degree Programs Online & Graduate Rankings
The field of engineering encompasses a variety of specialties, with the highest ranked programs being more all-inclusive. To find the best programs, we turned to the latest US News and World Report rankings. Engineering students may want to seek out a combination of a school that provides a variety of options in terms of coursework, and marries this with the chance to go more deeply into one subject, such as electrical or computer engineering.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology is consistently ranked the top university for engineering in the USA. Their M.Eng degree is suitable for students who have already earned their undergraduate degree in a field such as science or mathematics. With modern technological facilities and a series of guest lecturers that are at the top of the engineering world, students are treated to a wealth of opportunities for advancement.
- Stanford University features a program that combines a taught course in engineering, including the latest breakthroughs in science, and a heavy emphasis on research. Those who attend their Master of Engineering program will become prepared to be leaders in various industries in the technological world. There is the option to undergo either an internship or pursue a research project as part of the studies.
- University of California Berkeley has a variety of specialty fields for students that are part of their Master of Engineering course, including Applied Nuclear Reaction, Radiological Physics, and Chemistry used in Nuclear Technology. In addition to the nuclear focus, there's also a heavy technological component for those who might want to go into computer science.
- Georgia Institute of Technology boasts a program in Engineering Science and Mechanics which can lead to the choice of three different graduate degrees. There is a general Master of Science, a Master of Science in Engineering Science and Mechanics, or the choice to go on to earn a PhD in this field as well. Some topics that are covered in the program include computational mechanics, biomechanics, wave propagation, and research studies.
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign features an M.S. degree in Engineering that can be completed either with or without a thesis as part of the study program. Some of the special fields of focus can include civil and environmental engineering. This requires 32 credit hours if a thesis is included, or 36 hours without the thesis option. Without the thesis, the program can be completed in one year should the student attend full-time.
- Carnegie Mellon University offers a number of research opportunities for students in their Master of Engineering course. There is an interdisciplinary approach to the studies, with students having the option to complete a variety of different specialty options. Those could range from industrial collaborations to high technology and computer science, depending on the student's particular interests and career goals.
- California Institute of Technology prepares students in their Master of Engineering course for a career in teaching, for work in the engineering industry, or for the opportunity to continue their studies at a higher level. It's possible in some cases to enter the MS program in advanced standing and complete the degree requirements in less than one year, but this will depend greatly on the student's background and professional interests.
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor offers three distinct options for their MSE course, including either a program with taught coursework, the addition of a research project, or the addition of a Master of Engineering thesis. This choice may depend greatly on the career goals of the student. Within this degree framework there is also the possibility of choosing from a variety of specialty topics, including biomechanics, manufacturing, or fluid mechanics.
- University of Texas Austin offers students a top reputation and wide variety of different fields of focus in the engineering degree schematic. Their Master of Engineering has been awarded since 1921, ensuring a rich heritage and tradition behind the program. Students can choose to complete their MS degree with or without a formal thesis or research project to cap their studies.
- Cornell University grants Master of Engineering degrees in the span of one year, giving students the option to choose between fifteen different fields of engineering. That includes an emphasis on a core curriculum that includes all the advanced principles of math and science that are so necessary to succeed in the engineering field.