Best MSE (Masters in Software Engineering) Degree Programs Online & Graduate Rankings
Software engineering is a field that continues to grow in leaps and bounds, as most of the top computer science programs tend to do. As a result, those students who choose to go into this field are then able to swiftly find work in an uncertain economy. We chose to look first at the US News and World Report rankings when we were searching for the Masters in Software Engineering programs.
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology is consistently ranked as one of the top schools for any engineering program, and software engineering is no exception. With a location that attracts some of the top faculty members and best minds from all over the world, as well as facilities that are up to date with the latest equipment and technological capabilities, students are able to work independently as well as in teams to meet their career and academic goals.
2. Stanford University gives students the choice of pursuing either a full-time or part-time academic track in their pursuit of the Masters in Software Engineering degree. Some of the subject matter that may be taught as a part of this could include but is not limited to systems analysis, algorithms computer graphics, and marketing of software design. These are part of the core curriculum, which is then supplemented by individual research courses.
3. University of California, Berkeley benefits from its close proximity to Silicon Valley. This gives students the chance to take part in valuable internships that can heighten their awareness of what the current state of software technology and engineering practices are. In addition to the Masters in Software Engineering degree program, students can also combine this with other engineering programs, such as robotics or mechanical engineering.
4. Georgia Institute of Technology features a variety of different elective courses that draw from its famous school of engineering. This is one of the oldest Masters in Software Engineering courses in the country, and draws a distinguished faculty to help teach the core curriculum. Graduates may go on to find placement in local or international firms upon graduation, which has built up a rather distinguished alumni network. There are over six different concentrations that students may choose from to complement the core curriculum options.
5. University of Illinois Urbana Champaign offers participants in its Masters in Software Engineering degree program several different benefits, which has helped put it on the list of highly ranked computer science programs. One aspect of software engineering which is different from computer science master's degrees is that there is a greater emphasis on graphic and computer design. That can also lead to such careers as video game design, which gives a greater creative edge.
6. Carnegie Mellon University is a top contender in the stakes for engineering school. When it comes to software engineering, this holds true. The MSE program is meant to be completely flexible to help meet student needs, and is offered on either a full-time or part-time basis, with evenings and weekends also available to complete course work. Students may also combine this degree program with other courses in the engineering school, for a more well-rounded understanding of computer and electrical engineering.
7. California Institute of Technology gives students their choice from a number of different courses, in addition to their core curriculum options. These all work together to make up the full Masters in Software Engineering Program, which can be completed in two years of full time study. Students work with an advisor in their second year to complete a research or thesis project.
8. University of Michigan Ann Arbor is well known for its facilities. The engineering school is home to a variety of different program concentrations, including the Masters in Software Engineering program. This can then be combined with an Electrical or Mechanical Engineering curriculum for a greater understanding of the field.
9. University of Texas Austin gives students an edge with its professionally-oriented Masters in Software Engineering degree program. This draws from a number of different elements of engineering including graphic design, database management, and a greater understanding of the networking platforms that go into full software engineering.
10. University of Wisconsin, Madison remains at the top of the list of top engineering schools for its renowned dedication to the computer sciences. The Masters in Software Engineering degree program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis, with dual degree options available.