MSF (Master in Finance) Degree Programs Online & Graduate Rankings
To choose the Master in Finance programs that are currently available in universities, we consulted the US News and World Report's rankings. These help provide a rundown of the finance programs that are currently available, and how they differ from one another. What all of them do have in common is a flexible schedule, a diversity of subject material, and a world class faculty teaching the different courses.
- Harvard University is the current leader of the rankings, with their Master in Finance degree. Many students will choose to take courses that are also offered through the economics Master's program, to understand more of the theory behind the financial principles that are being put forth. Class work can include simulations, case studies, and a variety of mathematical techniques for a well-rounded interdisciplinary approach to the class work.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology gives students their choice of several different electives in addition to the regular list of core courses. These then provide a full picture of the current issues facing financial professionals today. During the last semester of study, students have their choice to either undertake a thesis project that explores these issues, or they can instead participate in an internship project that will bring what they have learned to life in a real world setting.
- Northwestern University offers participants in the MSF program their choice of participating on either a full-time or part-time basis, which gives a high degree of flexibility to the program. Other ways in which this program stands out is through their lecture series, and study abroad opportunities.
- New York University is a current leader in the finance market, which is assisted by their proximity to Wall Street. This helps give students the potential to work with some of the most important industry leaders. Professors in the Master of Finance program come from a variety of different backgrounds, including economics, the stock market, and hedge fund professions.
- University of Chicago puts an emphasis on market analysis in their Master in Finance curriculum. This is a highly analytical program that is meant to allow students to keep building on what they have learned in their undergraduate studies, as well as their prior professional backgrounds. The MSF degree program brings together these individuals from all different types of backgrounds for a full financial discourse.
- University of Pennsylvania offers participants in the MSF program to learn from industry professionals, and experience a diverse economic and financial curriculum. There are over ten different areas of specialization that students may choose from to round out their required core classes.
- Dartmouth College gives students a wide range of flexibility with their Master in Finance degree program. That includes the possibility to combine the basic core curriculum with a number of other elective courses that give students a wider understanding of how finance works. Over one third of each incoming class is international to give a global perspective to discussions and seminars. Group work makes up a large part of the curriculum.
- University of California Berkeley has a MSF program available through their Haas School of Business. This differs from the economics degree in that economics explores the more theoretical side of business, while the MSF degree focuses on the numerical side of how business profits are gathered and gained. Students from a mathematics or accounting background as undergraduates may be particularly well-suited to this type of degree program.
- Stanford University offers students a flexible study option with their Master in Finance degree program. This is also available as a dual degree option with a variety of other departments in the schools, including the law, economics, and business administration degrees. Some of the subject matter covered can include statistics, applied mathematics, business models, and simulations of financial crises and banking procedures.
- Columbia University is home to the Uris School of Business, which offers a Master in Finance that draws from several different other faculties in the department. That includes the economics, accounting, and business perspectives courses that are necessary for amore well rounded look at the world of finance as a whole. These courses are supplemented with a real-world work experience that helps give finance students the tools that they need to excel in business upon graduation.