Top 10 Graduate Education Administration Schools
Graduate education administration programs are for students who are interested in big picture issues, such as policy, community motivations, curriculum, and education theory. Programs often will allow students to perform a large amount of clinical study that will put them in the classrooms so that they can witness education firsthand. Many students who enroll in these programs already have professional experience that will guide through their research. Students in PhD programs are usually concerned with research and scholarship relevant to education administration.
These schools have been chosen because they demonstrate consistent excellence with regard to placing students in high level positions and training students to become leaders, policymakers, and administrators. These schools all demonstrate a tendency toward innovative thinking that prepares students to work with and create policy in today's changing world. These schools have all been ranked among the best by U.S. News and World Report.
- Vanderbilt University (Peabody) Peabody College is widely regarded as the most prestigious education school in the country. The PhD students in this school are among the most qualified in the field. Students on the administration track not only have a passion for education and successful policy, but they also have strong backgrounds in fields such as psychology and sociology.
- University of Wisconsin--Madison The Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis prepares students with master's and PhD degree programs that teach them the theories and methods essential to an understanding of today's educational institutions. Students learn clinical practice as well as cutting edge research methods.
- Harvard University The Graduate School of Education excels at allowing students to choose their own areas of concentration. With a strong emphasis on international communication, this school allows students to work with populations from other cultures and countries. Students choose from a wide variety of research topics.
- Stanford University The School of Education offers master's and PhD programs for students who are interested in policy and research as it applies to a number of different populations and communities. Diversity and social justice are stressed as important issues in this school.
- Pennsylvania State University--University Park The College of Education prepares students to hold high level, influential leadership positions within the field of education. Students work closely with dedicated faculty mentors who help them to further understand their areas of concentration.
- Teachers College, Columbia University The Teachers College has long been known to be a source of diversity and innovative research methods and techniques. Master's and doctoral programs prepare students to be leaders and administrators in important educational institutions and organizations.
- University of Texas--Austin The College of Education has a special focus for master's and PhD students which allow them to focus on community college leadership. Students may also choose from concentrations such as Principalship and special education administration.
- Ohio State University The School of Educational Policy and Leadership is designed for graduate students who are passionate about influencing policy through practice and research. The school offers master's and doctoral degree programs.
- Michigan State University The Department of Educational Administration allows students to choose from a number of different concentrations, such as adult education, higher learning, and special education. All master's and doctoral students learn about the issues and methods in leadership and policy.
- University of Southern California (Rossier) The Rossier School of Education has a number of degree options for graduate students, including an innovative Urban Education Policy concentration that allows students to focus on issues facing today's educational environments.