10 Best Graduate Public Health Schools
Public health is a broad field that attracts students who are concerned with large health issues in a number of different communities and populations. Students who enroll in masters in public health programs and doctoral programs in public health will learn about health policy issues and obstacles. Students will also learn about issues within a number of health institutions and organizations. Students on the PhD track will concentrate on research that will influence future policy. Many students in this field have interests in cross-cultural communication, internationalism, and social justice. Many students use their understanding of public health for social welfare.
The schools listed below are from a list compiled by U.S. News and World Report. These schools all demonstrate the most practice of the most innovative research methods and utilization of the most current public health theories. These programs all give students hands-on training, and many encourage international study so that students may truly understand the complex workings of public health systems.
- Johns Hopkins University The Bloomberg School of Public Health is considered the best in the country because it starts students off by allowing them to travel to other countries and learn firsthand about public health issues.
- Harvard University The School of Public Health at Harvard is known for its high profile faculty and the opportunities it offers its students. Those who graduate from this school with a Master of Public Health Degree go on to write and influence policy in the government, in the private sector, and in a number of different public organizations throughout the world.
- University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill The Gillings School of Public Health offers a wide array of degree concentrations for the graduate students. Students may choose to focus on public health leadership, which will prepare them to write and direct policy. Students may also choose to focus on particular issues, such as environmental health.
- University of Washington The School of Public Health offers a number of different areas of study. This school also encourages students to pursue interdisciplinary study, which advances their studies and provides them with a wider range of understanding with unique reference points.
- University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Master's and PhD degrees are offered by the School of Public Health in a number of different areas of study. This school is a first choice for students who are interested in entering leadership positions and deciding policy after graduation.
- Columbia University The Mailman School of Public Health has a focus on international policy. Students have the opportunity to work closely with a diverse, experienced faculty.
- Emory University The Rollins School of Public Health is well known for the way in which it helps its students to find jobs after graduation. Students are prepared to enter a number of public health fields.
- University of California--Berkeley The Berkeley School for Public Health prepares students to work with some of the most cutting issues and obstacles in today's public health field. Students learn about the challenges of poverty and cross-cultural communities.
- University of California--Los Angeles This school offers a Doctor of Public Health program that allows students to focus on advanced methods of research concerning health policy in the government and other public administrations and organizations.
- University of Minnesota--Twin Cities This school offers a number of different concentrations for MS, MPH, and DPH degrees. Students may choose to focus on policy, administration, environmental health, child health, nutrition, medicine, or other concentrations.